R.I.P Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston was a great entertainer. Most of you have heard of her death. What bothers me the most about when celebrities die is the information the media chooses to discuss. Of course, we all know that quite a few celebrities have dealt with alcohol and drug use. That is also something that common people deal with also, but typically, that is something most people don’t hear about in the media. The media is really not concerned with those who aren’t in the spotlight, in my opinion. Whitney’s drug addiction was constantly being discussed at the time of her death. That bothers me a lot, as with other celebrities who have passed on.

What we have learned as a race is that it doesn’t matter what good someone contributes to the world, rather, we harp on the bad things surrounding their being. Personally, what Whitney did in her personal life isn’t any of my business. Not that I’m not genuinely concerned about the health and the well-being of humans as a whole, but drug and alcohol use are very serious issues. People live with them everyday and we don’t always understand the reasoning behind it or why they continue to indulge in their behaviors. Instead of judging people for their sicknesses, the media makes the decision to turn their deaths into juicy gossip or to remind people of their pains in their lives. It has always been a consistent thing with the media. It’s distasteful. It’s insane. It’s absurd and I’m sure it’s most definitely something people wouldn’t want to be remembered for.

I feel bad for her family, her fans (myself included) and herself. I wish her family the very best. May she rest in peace.

1 person likes this post.
14 Comments to “R.I.P Whitney Houston”
  1. February 20, 2012 at 3:46 am

I watched the funeral live on CNN’s website and I really felt touched. I shed a few tears because I really loved her as a human being. Someone who wasn’t perfect, who had flaws, but someone I loved and respected regardless. Yes, it is known that she had her problems in the past with drug use but for the media to bring that up at this time was quite disrespectful to me. I also thought it was a little disrespectful to focus on why Bobby Brown left/or wasn’t able to attend.

Nevertheless, I guess she’s really able to rest in peace.

(Check out the interviews between Whitney and Wendy Williams on YouTube. They may be love Whitney even more!)

2. February 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I don’t really read/watch news. Only if I’m forced to watch CNN at the gym really. All I’ve heard about her death has been from twitter or facebook where people mostly have nice things to say. Social media ftw. Though I was at training at the time and the most surprising comment came from my coworker:
    Me: Whitney Houston died!
    Her: So?
    Me: …So? That’s huge!
    Her: Who’s Whitney Houston?
    Me: *jaw drop* Only one of the most famous singers like ever *sings*
    Her: Never heard it
    Me: *jaw drop*
    to be fair, she only moved her from Afghanistan like 12 years ago, but still, she knows who Celine Dion is.

• Shannon
      February 21, 2012 at 1:30 am

lmao! That’s pretty funny

3. February 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I too watched the funeral live on CNN, so heartbreaking. Im a huge fan as well. I actually have a few of my all time favs songs from her on my iPod that I was just listening to, “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay” & my favorite “My Love Is Your Love”. The media has been so negative towards her and including her daughter. May she rest in peace.

4. February 22, 2012 at 3:18 am

I love it when people are able to look past all of the stuff that the media spews out. You’re awesome. I was shocked to see articles about her death pop up on my newsfeed while browsing the Internet late into the night…but I get really bothered with how news blows things out of proportion or how they tend to focus on things that really shouldn’t be the main focus.

5. February 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

I didn’t watch the entire funeral. My aunt was having a women’s conference at my uncle’s Church. But from what I heard, it was truly a homegoing service. I did Youtube Tyler Perry’s part & R. Kelly and they were wonderful. He spoke well over her and R. Kelly sung like he used to – DEEP!!

xoxo

6. February 27, 2012 at 12:09 am

Rest in peace, Whitney Houston. I was really shocked when I found out she past away. I thought it was a joke because I found out through twitter, and you know a lot of people on twitter like to start rumors and etc. I watched part of the funeral, and it was so heart breaking… my heart goes out to her family.

7. February 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm

It really broke my heart when I found out Whitney Houston passed because I practically grew up to her songs and her movies. We lost a great figure and she can never be replaced. LOVE YOU WHITNEY.

8. February 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Ah yes, Mrs. Houston! Here goes my 2c also. I feel as though celebrities are put on the spot light even after the cameras stop rolling. Like you said, “Who cares about her personal life?”. What matters is she was good at what she does. Her singing is what made her known. Made her stand out. She was the only artist I know that was known for her singing and not being half naked on stage. Sex didn’t sell for her. Her voice did. It was very unfortunate that her voice turned to shit years later. But she was born with a gift. A gift she used to express herself in anyway possible. I salute her. I feel mostly sorry for her daughter. Another child lost their mother. I wish everyone can pull it together and focus on what really mattered. She was an Icon!Her hits went beyond measures. Beyonce can’t keep up!

9. March 3, 2012 at 3:38 am

RIP Whitney Houston. She was an extremely talented woman, and her talent will definitely be missed. I watched pieces of the funeral on CNN. I was really bugged by how they put so much focus on what happened with Bobby Brown… I ended up changing the channel.

10. March 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I still can’t believe she gonna. She’ll will always be miss. I agree what she did in her personal life is her business and her business alone. It doesn’t effect us so i never understood why people care so much.

11. March 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Just because someone has died due to something like drugs or alcohol abuse or something not considered “good”, doesn’t mean that people have to talk about it. I hate the way the media tantalises things just so they can get higher ratings since people will be more interested. It truly is no one’s business what Whitney did. She was a wonderful entertainer and she sadly passed away. People should show respect. Talking about the personal matters of someone who has just passed is just very disrespectful.

12. March 16, 2012 at 4:31 am

I was shocked to hear about her death. Like many others, I learned about the deaths of celebrities through Twitter. I also find it ironic that their fame, the issues, and their songs also become a hit only after their death. I just ask myself, “If we were always her fans, why have we just started playing their music again? Is it only because they’ve died?”

13. March 26, 2012 at 9:27 pm

She has gained a lot of modesty now more than ever when she was still alive. I saw her video on Yahoo News where she was interviewed by Oprah and it sure is giving me the creeps ’til today.